Monday, January 7, 2013

Eva

I've been to Eva once before and had a decent experience but wanted to document the latest visit here.  I was with a couple of friends and we had a chance to try quite a few menu items.  Here's the rub with Eva: if I'm paying you to create food for me, it should be better than what I can do for myself, or less expensive (in terms of time, money or both).  I'm not sure that Eva met that hurdle for us.  The photos are really poor this time due to bad lighting and my continued unwillingness to carry a proper camera to the dinner table... sorry.

We started out with the roasted beets and goat cheese topped with garlic chips, mint and hazelnut vinaigrette.  If this looks good to you, I have good news - you can go to costco and purchase the cooked baby beets, slice them up, throw some goat cheese on there and you will have this dish!  Honestly, it wasn't exciting at all.


We also tried out the Brussels Sprouts, the "most popular item on the menu".  The preparation is a shredded sprout with toasted hazelnuts and cider vinegar.  I thought the flavor was pretty good though I  wasn't blown away.


The best dish of the night was the tri-tip bruschetta - a thin-sliced tri-tip steak bruschetta with lemon, parmesan, aioli and radicchio.  My only critique on this one is that I'm used to a medium or mid-rare preparation on a tri-tip steak, and the steak in this dish is cooked well done.


The oink-oink-oink was the final dish in our first round of small plates.  This is a skewer with pork belly, bacon and pork tenderloin.  Anyone who reads this blog knows that I love pork belly, which is why I was so frustrated to receive the overcooked skewer of pork that came out with this order.  The tenderloin was rubbery and burnt and the pork belly was a sub-par cut of meat made worse by too much cooking.  Off.


We went around a second time and the first arrival was the wood-fired flatbread served with truffled white bean, arugula pesto and olive tapanade.  This plate was OK - the flatbread had tons of potential but I felt like the pesto wasn't very balanced and the truffled white bean was underwhelming.


I wanted to try the calamari and it was probably the number two most disappointing item on the menu behind the oink-oink.  It was served with a few fried jalepeno chips, but really had zero flavor going on.  Think about how Long John Silver would cook calamari and you get the jist.


We had the spanish organic green salad with manchego, marcona almonds, red peppers and honey truffle vinaigrette.  This salad was pretty good - I would definitely repeat it if I was back at Eva.

The grilled asparagus topped with a poached egg, romano cheese, chopped proscuitto and jalepeno aioli was pretty good as well and stood out as one of the better items of our night.  Maybe I'm spoiled by Finca's take on this dish, which is infinitely more well-executed, but I was a bit let down by Eva's asparagus.


Lastly, I have to mention that I ordered the Eva's whiskey - which is a wood-fired lemon muddled in Maker's on the rocks.  Maybe just a function of Utah liquor laws, but this is basically a water with a spritz of whiskey and a charred lemon.  Not a fan.


I would tell you how the crab cakes were that we ordered, but they never came.

The Verdict?  Eva's has a super interesting menu but is foiled by terrible execution on all fronts.  I don't recommend it but I suppose there is hope for the joint if they import some chefs.  Nice beards, plaid, checkers, paisley and vintage floral only cover up so much.  If you're thinking about Eva - do yourself a favor and head over to Finca instead.

Eva on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment