Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ruth's Diner

Ruth's has been an SLC staple for a long time. They tout themselves as the second oldest restaurant in Utah and I highly recommend that you cruise over to their history page and read a bit about the colorful founder herself. This place has survived for a reason. It isn't haute cuisine and it isn't trendy, but it is hard to deny the vibe and the food isn't bad at all. I've eaten at Ruth's a few times and there is a clear issue with their breakfast: the complimentary mile high biscuits that they start you off with before most of their plates are more calories that I normally consume for an entire meal. They are both delicious and beautiful, but most people are full after one such rusk.


This time around I was looking to order off menu, but my out-of-towner sister came through and ordered a classic so that you could get a good idea of what's available at Ruth's. I have heard tale of a polenta benedict, and it sounded great. The menu encourages patrons to ask for anything they're interested in regardless of whether or not your entree of choice is listed, so I asked. Our server said he'd be happy to have them do me up some polenta benedict so I was feeling pretty blithe. Here is what I got:


Two comments. First, the basic elements of eggs benedict are there and done well with a bit of a greasy spoon flair (as they should be). Second, there was no polenta on my plate - just cornbread. The dish wasn't bad at all but I'll admit I felt a little betrayed when I found that my polenta was made of cornbread.


My sis and her soon to be husband stayed a bit more in the wheelhouse at Ruth's and ordered a smoked salmon omelet and the Ruth's combo (eggs, pancakes, breakfast meats and hash browns). Both of these entrees are good but my advice is to lean towards the breakfast combo. Ruth's is as much about the fantastic patio as it is about the food and you won't be disappointed if you come looking for a classic big breakfast. I've never had anything I didn't enjoy here, but I feel like they really do their best on the basics (the coffee is passable for me and will only disappoint those who read this and think "uh-oh").


Speaking of the patio - it is the only way to dine at Ruth's if the weather is even half decent. I'd recommend against sitting inside during the summer as the doors usually stay open and the flies prefer the indoor dining. In the winter, dining indoors is no problem. But if the patio is open, that is where you want to be enjoying great views of Emigration Canyon up and out of the SLC haze. 

The verdict? Ruth's does great at what they have been doing for a very long time. Come looking for breakfast basics done right and you'll leave happy, and be sure to sit outside if you can!

Ruth's Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment